Adjusting: Working at Not Working

Wow, I just finished my first week of “health” leave. I managed to sleep in until 6:45. I almost never get past 5:30. It is working, this “not working”. I do have a lot to do. I have to get a years worth of receipts dealt with for income tax. So much paper! I have to cook breakfast, supper and lunch now. Well, not really cook but make sure there is something available. Leftovers are my friend.

My blood pressure is amazing. Well, it has been but I had to do a treadmill test for my records. Nine sticky contacts, wires coming out of my shirt, and pointy lines recording my really bad walking.

I can walk, but I’m slow and hills hurt my legs and wind. Heavy breathing without foreplay is embarrassing. But I guess it’s a good benchmark. Just what I need – more benchmarks. It reminds me of the marks on the door frame to track the girls’ growth. I have a bunch of paper, pictures and digital records.

I’m trying to make sure I have a routine. Wake up, check that the clock that it is sometime after 5 am. Get up, close the bedroom door so Norm can stay in bed. Check the thermostat (getting high tech, eh?) and set for day temperature. Then I make way to the kitchen and put the coffee on. I make a full 12 cups of Pacific Dark Roast! When it’s done it goes into the carafe and onto the turntable on the kitchen table. While waiting for the coffee, I’ve powered up my computer and signed in. I check my emails (I have 3 of them), deal with what needs doing – mostly deleting “Buy Me” notices. Then onto Facebook and Messenger. I seldom answer Messenger after 9:30 at night so I don’t feel guilty answering at 5:30 in the morning to someone who messaged me at 2 am. I play games; read posts; look for a facetious mug to post for the day; and comment on wonderful things people post. I need physical exercise.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image-2.jpeg

I can be in front of my computer for a couple of hours before showering and dressing. But hanging out all day in nightie and robe is not my fave. I have some great old lay-a-bout clothes. Norm gets up when he’s ready unless he has a paint job to do. We read the paper, talk and enjoy the coffee.

OK! Tax papers are in; the hand mending is all done; the dishes are done; now what? Oh, finish the blog post. It is a lot harder to accept “no required work” than I expected. I guess that’s really good. At least I have some challenges such as, making vegetables taste like fattening meat. I have so many different fruits in the house that I can’t help snacking on raspberries and cantaloupe.

I think that’s enough for today and more will be coming. Thanks to all of you who read my last blog and acknowledged me. I’ve always a fear that I may fall off the earth and be forgotten. Thanks for listening!


~ by 1fatgirlshrinking - Diane Kirby on April 16, 2019.

4 Responses to “Adjusting: Working at Not Working”

  1. Hi Diane, Sounds like you are keeping quite busy despite being on leave. It’s amazing how much work there is at home if you are looking for something to keep you occupied. I often wonder how I could ever return to work full time and still take care of all the household stuff! Not to mention all the creative projects I like to do, and my social life! best wishes for further recovery! Caroline

    Sent from my iPad


  2. Good read Diane — I am glad you are adjusting — take care good buddy!

Leave a Reply to Caroline Stengl Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: